Relational aggression, hazing, alcohol abuse, eating disorders, dating abuse, risky behaviors… Many of the issues affecting college women today are directly related to lack of confidence.
- 90% of all women want to change at least one aspect of their physical appearance.
- One out of four college-age women have an eating disorder.
- 57% of women are targeted for workplace bullying.
- 47% of students allow themselves to be hazed prior to coming to college.
- 1 in 3 females who have been in a serious relationship say they have been concerned about being physically hurt by their partner.
- Women are devalued in the workplace, making only 76% of their male peers’ salaries.
- Three-fourths of females with low self-esteem engage in negative activities, such as disordered eating, bullying, smoking or drinking.
- Only 2% of women think they are beautiful.
How can campus leaders make a difference?
Kappa Delta, creator of the Confidence Coalition, offers Confidence U grants to colleges and universities to develop confidence-building programming and awareness initiatives for women on their campuses. Grants of up to $5,000 are awarded to ten campuses to help women find “the Confidence In U.”
The grants provide needed funding for colleges and universities to address one or more issues that affect college women. Programming can include workshops, speakers, special presentations, awareness campaigns, etc. We encourage you to use your creativity to develop a program that meets the needs of women on your particular campus. This is your chance to truly make an impact in the lives of women and influence your campus culture.
As part of Confidence U, Kappa Delta also presents a special award of $1,000 to one college Panhellenic representative or university leader who is making a strong and visible difference in the lives of women on his/her campus.
Apply for a Confidence U Grant for your campus!
Apply for a Confidence U Grant for your campus! For more information, please review these guidelines or email the Kappa Delta Foundation.
2015 Confidence U Grant Recipients
The 2015 grant recipients were each awarded a grant of $5,000. They are:
- East Carolina University
- Furman University
- Hanover College
- Purdue University
- Sacred Heart University
- Samford University
- Texas A&M University
- University of Arkansas
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- University of Richmond
Individual Confidence U grant winner:
- Madison Rolling, Sigma Lambda-Auburn